Tuesday, November 16, 2010

N.T. Wright at Trinity Western University


So I did get to Trinity Western University safe and sound, though late into the night. And by now I've gotten to meet nearly all, if not all, the professors in the MA Biblical Studies department, and wow, what a diverse and well-grounded group with specialties in so many areas of biblical studies, including premier roles in the Dead Sea Scrolls and Septuagint research!

Everyone here has been so friendly, open, helpful, and interested in this "Lutheran" guy who came for the N.T. Wright symposium and such. This photo is the best I could do my wife's Palm Pixi. I suppose it worked out fine despite the low quality. N.T. Wright and I were pretty much the only people wearing ties, because not even the professors here or department chairs wore any (which is nothing I wouldn't expect). I had the privilege of having a dinner (all my meals are provided!) with him and other students here where he talked about the importance of today's young people getting into very textual biblical studies programs for the sake of Christ's Church and its gospel mission.

Now, I didn't take a picture of the guest suite they provided me with, but it includes all the amenities of a quality extended stay suite, although I won't be using most of them (the cooking supplies, refrigerator, table and chairs, long closet, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, it's been great for me personally to learn about Canada from Canadians, to learn about the various religious backgrounds represented here, and also talk about Lutheranism and the rich traditions it maintains.

I could say more, but I just wanted to give some praise here to Trinity Western University for its excellence and share my personal and professional enthusiasm for getting to know and engage with great minds. Now, at the same time it's bittersweet because at late night moments like this I don't have my Katie next to me to share a bed with and to talk about how the day went and whatever random ideas came into my head. So it's good to be here, and it'll be good to go home and see my Katie as well.

2 comments:

  1. It will be good to see my David again too! I feel as though we took a step backwards here. I'm working at Culvers again and you being gone in another country. The phones are not working and we are having to instant message each other. It's kinda weird how familiar this all feels. I am very happy that you were able to go and meet with all these people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks to me like you both also enjoyed an energetic game of pocket billiards.

    ReplyDelete