Thursday, January 6, 2011

Have an Enlightening Epiphany!

Even many Christian Americans might not realize it, but today is Epiphany! It's the celebration that seems to get the shaft in American Christianity, at least. The "12 Days of Christmas" isn't just a random song, the "days" are talking about the 12 days after Christmas that lead up to January 5th, Epiphany (if you're Latino, it's probably the day you give people gifts on). It commemorates the day when Magi came from the East to worship Jesus who was born as king of the Jews (Matthew 2). Then it kicks off the next Sunday with Jesus' baptism (when Jesus began his public ministry), and will end when Jesus shows his glorious light for a moment to his disciples on what's been called his "Transfiguration." It's the time when Jesus slowly but wisely and carefully revealed himself to be God's Messiah, redefining what "Messiah" and "the Kingdom of God" was always supposed to mean, which included a kingdom for all people. I attached a picture of an Orthodox icon.

The Magi, being Gentiles, that is, not of an Israelite ethnic background, followed some type of celestial body which led them to Jesus. Epiphany also became a season in the traditional church year which varies in length since the date of Easter determines its end (which is based on a lunar, not a solar calendar, so it "changes"). The Greek word means "appearance." Because of the event it celebrates, the two big themes are light and the inclusion of Gentiles into God's kingdom in a new way (Jesus being God's light for ALL people), which is what Israel's purpose was to be since the beginning. But I won't get into that right now.

It's such a neat holiday and church season, with so many very visual events like the Magi coming, Jesus' baptism, his healing and teaching ministry, his transfiguration, that I'm confused as to why it doesn't have a fitting visual custom or more traditions associated with it. I decided to make up my own greeting of "Have an Enlightening Epiphany" for this reason. Maybe it does have a lot more cool things associated with it, but Lutherans (the church I'm a part of) or whatever just don't do much. I don't know. What I mean is Advent has the wreath and candles, Christmas has the tree, Lent the Ash Wednesday and typically giving up something, etc. Or when have you heard an inspiring "Epiphany" song? Let me know if you have ideas! Planting a tree after taking down your Christmas tree? I don't know. Key words of Epiphany are: light, growth, green (the traditional color), and water.

For me it marks also the return to normalcy now that Christmas and New Years and traveling is over. I'm getting back into the routine of things, as I know most are as well.

Oh, and a big O H I O for the Buckeyes winning a great game in the Sugar Bowl! Big Ten football in general didn't fare well this bowl season, pretty lousy actually, so it's good to know we won a prominent one against the SEC...It seems no matter where I am, when I garb up and put a buckeye-necklace on and go watch a game, I get to meet a lot of Ohioans and fans with interesting stories to tell. Katie and I went to a bar here in Madison and met several fans. It was a fun time, even besides the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment